Required Summer Service Hours are reinstated!
Did you know that all sophomores, juniors and seniors are NOT required to attend school on August 16, 2022 and that only freshmen come on this day?
To accommodate this extra day off, Upper Arlington Schools requires all 10th, 11th and 12th graders to complete 6 hours of community service for an organization of their choice — a great chance for them to give back to the community and use their gifts, talents and skills in service to others. These 6 hours can be performed AT ANY TIME DURING THE SUMMER as long as the service occurs between June 1 and September 30, 2022 and is entered online in their Naviance/x2Vol portfolio by September 30.
Please note: Any student who does not have her or his summer service submitted online by the due date will be marked unexcused for August 16.
All volunteer activities are subject to the UA Rules for Community Service:
- Completed without pay.
- Completed for someone other than a family member.
- Completed for the school or service agency/organization.
- Youth in the Booth does not count as community service, unless you have donated your pay and can produce a receipt.
- All political activities must be non-partisan (i.e., working for the League of Women Voters or Get Out the Vote, NOT - working for a specific campaign for a candidate)
- Extended service trips/camps can receive a maximum of 18 hours per day. This includes 6th grade camp (maximum of 48 hours for 6th grade camp).
- Religious activities count with the exceptions of teaching or preaching.
Ideas for virtual service:
If you do not know how to record your service hours, please go here
If you need some ideas about who to help and where to serve, check out the section called “Opportunities” in x2VOL. Don’t see anything that interests you? You can also go to Columbus Gives Back
and use their search to find other volunteer opportunities in areas like homelessness, hunger, tutoring and animal welfare. Another great website to find service opportunities is JustServe.org where you can find locations within 5 miles of Upper Arlington.
If you have any questions, please contact Jeanne Gogolski, Career Development/Service-Learning Coordinator at [email protected]